You know, every once in a while, you come across something that really just... makes you think. For me, it happens the most often with quotes.
Just from the past year:
"I ask for, not at once no government, but
at once a better government."
- Henry David Thoreau
I can't remember why I found his page on Wikipedia, but Henry David Thoreau was apparently a philosopher who influenced Mahatma Gandhi. Why this quote got me thinking wasn't because it was about a government or anything, but rather that you should be specific in what you want.
It's always so easy to say "Oh, I want to live happily when I grow up" but we don't actually stop to think about what we really want that will make us happy. And what I've come to realize is that, at least for me, a lot of things that would make me happy are big ideas and big plans.
For example, when I'm about 40, I want to build up a restaurant. I love cooking and it's something that I want to leave my children when I die - a family tradition in the form of a business, and of course, the food. When I'm really old (like 55-70), I want to move to Italy and buy a farm. I've always wanted a farm, but I don't think I'll quite have the time to really devote myself to it until I'm older and I have the patience that comes with old age. I want to be buried in my farm.
“
If the
dream is a translation of
waking life,
waking life is also a translation of the
dream.”
- Rene Magritte
This one made me think because it's so strange to consider. It makes sense though, especially when I was reading The Dreamer. But then it gave me a headache because I thought: what if we were living the dreams we had at night?
"Everything the eye sees is the rainbow therefore the rainbow is everything. Maybe it's the same for things that can't be seen."
- Shigeaki Kato
This one is just wonderfully poetic and I'm still trying to digest it <3